Lincoln Daily News wants to be a constructive player in making Logan County the best possible place to live.  We encourage readers to submit to us specific complaints, concerns and problems.  Our ombudsman will contact the government agency or business that might be responsible for addressing the problem. We will publish the response we get from the responsible party. Lincoln Daily News will always approach this undertaking in a positive manner, seeking only to make things better. 

Resident says stop sign is needed on Hamilton

Problem: An Angel Valley resident reported to the Ombudsman that Hamilton Street has become "a known through way for people who want to get to Wyatt Avenue without any stops." The resident further reports that the drivers disregard speed limits and the children who live and play around the intersection of Hamilton and Willard. A day care center is located at this corner. The writer to Ombudsman suggests placing a stop sign at this intersection.

Ombudsman: So how does a citizen alert the city to the need for a stop sign? Chief Richard Ludolph reports that the process begins with a petition that can be obtained from the city clerk’s office at City Hall. The petition does not require multiple signatures. It simply asks the petitioner to make a case for placing a stop sign (or any other sign) in a specific location. When the petition is submitted to the city clerk, the Police Department conducts a study of the intersection and files a report. The petition and report are then forwarded to a committee of the City Council, which makes the final decision.


Residents concerned about speeding on Wyatt Avenue

Question: We have recently moved to Wyatt Avenue. It is a beautiful street to live on, and most people take good care of their property. It's a nice street for walking with your family, as we do a lot in nice weather. The problem we have is that a lot of people drive very fast (too fast, as in speeding!) on this street, as there are no stop signs at all. We have cars that will almost run over us as we attempt to slow down and enter our drive (not to mention the hand gestures by those real fast ones who are really in a hurry!). One night, we even had someone drive through our yard and hit a tree! Is this street ever policed, is what I wonder, because I've never seen any police checking the traffic, and it is a problem, in my opinion. I worry about my children and others who play or ride bikes and for the safety of so many of the school kids that drive so fast before and after school.

Answer: The speed limit on Wyatt Avenue is 30 miles per hour. Currently there is a police officer at the high school to provide a police presence in the parking lot and school grounds. And according to Police Chief Rich Ludolph, the streets are patrolled regularly; however, if there is a problem with speeding and reckless drivers, the public should report the situation to the police. Chief Ludolph said that an officer will be assigned to Wyatt Avenue more often during the hours before and after school to monitor traffic and help slow down speeding drivers.

So, if you are speeding on the city's streets, slow down and obey the speed limits – before you get a ticket, or injure yourself or someone else.


Basset hound runs loose

Question: We live on the 500 block of Frorer Avenue, and there is a basset hound type of dog running loose every day. He is always digging in our garbage barrel and stringing it all over as well as "doing his business" in our yard.

Ombudsman: Animal control was notified of the basset hound on Monday, Feb. 14. Mr. Sullivan was compliant and said he would report the incident.


(To top of second column)


Unmarked intersections

Who has the right of way?

Question: Who has the right of way on unmarked streets in Lincoln. Is it north-south traffic, or the first one to get to the intersection on your right?

Answer: According to state law, the driver on the right of the intersection has the right of way. This law applies to all streets and highways.


Pedestrian traffic—
Who has the right of way?

Question: There is a traffic jam every workday over on Limit Street in front of the Precision Products factory. Who has the legal right of way? Is it the employees on foot or those of us trying to drive by?

Ombudsman: The law states under Article X, Pedestrian’s Rights and Duties, Section 5/11-1002, Pedestrians’ right of way at crosswalks, that even when traffic control signals are not in place or not in operation, the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right of way, slowing down or stopping if need be to yield to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk. No pedestrian, according to the law, shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a moving vehicle which could constitute an immediate hazard. In other words, slow down for the people trying to cross the street. By law it is your duty.


No sidewalks? What can I do?

Question: We have no sidewalks and would love to have them but are unsure of the cost involved for us as homeowners. Does the city absorb the cost? Do we need to apply for it? What is the procedure?

Ombudsman: Don Osborn at the city Street and Alley Department says the first step is to advise City Hall. You can do this by picking up a sidewalk petition at City Hall. The council ultimately decides the fate of sidewalks.


Back to top



Top Stories | Sports News | Sports Talk | Area Athletes in Action | Out and About | TechLine | Weather

A Day in the Life | Milestones | Obituaries | Diaspora

Business & Ag | Organizations | Events | Good Neighbors | Honors & Awards | Ombudsman | Law & Courts

Crosswords | Games

The Arts | Home and Family | Spiritual Life | Health & Fitness | Teaching & Learning | Book Look | Movies & Videos

the em space | Where They Stand | How We Stack Up | By the Numbers

Letters to Editor | About LDN | Corrections | Happy Ads | Classified Ads | Quick Coupon Clip-Outs