Lincoln Daily News wants to be a constructive player in making Logan County the best possible place to live.  We encourage readers to submit to us specific complaints, concerns, and problems.  Our ombudsman will contact the government agency or business that might be responsible for addressing the problem. We will publish the response we get from the responsible party. Lincoln Daily News will always approach this undertaking in a positive manner, seeking only to make things better. 

Pedestrian traffic—
Who has the right of way?

Question: There is a traffic jam every workday over on Limit Street in front of the Precision Products factory. Who has the legal right of way? Is it the employees on foot or those of us trying to drive by?

Ombudsman: The law states under Article X, Pedestrian’s Rights and Duties, Section 5/11-1002, Pedestrians’ right of way at crosswalks, that even when traffic control signals are not in place or not in operation, the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right of way, slowing down or stopping if need be to yield to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk. No pedestrian, according to the law, shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a moving vehicle which could constitute an immediate hazard. In other words, slow down for the people trying to cross the street. By law it is your duty.


Basset Hound Runs Loose

Question: We live on the 500 block of Frorer Avenue, and there is a basset hound type of dog running loose every day. He is always digging in our garbage barrel and stringing it all over as well as "doing his business" in our yard.

Ombudsman: Animal control was notified of the basset hound on Monday, Feb. 14. Mr. Sullivan was compliant and said he would report the incident.


No sidewalks? What can I do?

Question: We have no sidewalks and would love to have them but are unsure of the cost involved for us as homeowners. Does the city absorb the cost? Do we need to apply for it? What is the procedure?

Ombudsman: Don Osborn at the City Street and Alley Department says the first step is to advise City Hall. You can do this by picking up a sidewalk petition at City Hall. The council ultimately decides the fate of sidewalks.


Back to top