on the tour is the only example of stick Victorian architecture in
town, in addition to homes originally occupied by some of Lincoln’s
earliest prominent businessmen and citizens.
maps will be available. Each home on the tour will have a
corresponding numbered sign in the front yard, to match the numbers on
the routed map.
tour is just one of several events planned during the National
Trust’s Historic Preservation Week celebration May 8-14. The theme
of this year’s event is “Taking the Past Into the Future.”
of the week’s activities are the city of Lincoln and Main Street
Lincoln, with financial support from Beans and Such and The Blue Dog
Inn. Information obtained for the home tour was compiled from a
variety of resources, with special recognition given to the Lincoln
Public Library and local residents Paul Gleason, Jean Gossett, Ruth
Sloot and participating homeowners and other residents.
descriptions of the homes featured on the tour, in the order they will
appear on the tour map, are listed below:
– 1324 1500th St. (next to Chester East Lincoln Elementary School),
owned by Christopher Wills and Penny Zimmerman-Wills. The Queen
Anne-style farmhouse, which sits on more than two acres, was built
around 1895 and features exterior fish-scale shingles and other
decorative trim, highlighted by several coordinating colors of paint.
Many interior and exterior period features of the home have been
restored, including the rebuilding of the front porch, which was a
victim of a tornado several decades ago. Photographs were used to
match the original gingerbread.
and 3 – 119 Lincoln Ave., “Suma Ray,” owned by Mr. and Mrs.
David Hepler, and 123 Lincoln Avenue, “Irendean,” owned by Mr. and
Mrs. Terry W. Werth. Built as “sister” homes around 1927 for
Katherine Gillet Hill and her son, John D.G. Hill, both homes were
originally pink stucco with blue tile roofs. The balustrades and
entrance door pillars were carved on-site and designed to match the
– 505 College Ave., owned by Mr. and Mrs. Timothy McCormick. The
Italianate-style home was built in 1874 by H.B. Schuler, a local
banker. The home has a low-pitched cross-hipped roof, asymmetrical
facade and arched windows.
– 328 Peoria St., owned by Donald and Georgia Vinson. This is the
only example of “stick Victorian” architecture in Lincoln, with
elaborate balustrades, railings, porch columns and other gingerbread
– 110 Park Place, owned by Pat and Lisa Madigan. Harry “Les”
Atlass started the local WBBM radio station with the first broadcast
from this home’s basement Feb. 6, 1924. History was made when WBBM
carried the county’s district high school basketball tournament live
from Lincoln College – the first athletic event broadcast in the
– 200 Park Place, owned by Mrs. Phillip Reese. The home, built in
1916 by William Hodnett, is an excellent example of the Prairie style
inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright. The home’s flat roof was a shock to
the neighborhood at the time it was constructed.
– 226 Park Place, owned by Ted and Marlene Perry. The home was built
in 1921 by the father and stepmother of famous author and Lincoln
native William Maxwell, who now resides in New York. The former editor
of The New Yorker magazine also wrote, “So Long, See You
Tomorrow,” published in 1980 and based on a 1921 murder-suicide
involving two Logan County tenant farmers. The current owners are the
third generation to occupy the 79-year-old home, which has always been
in the McGrath/Perry family.
– 104 Tremont St., owned by Mr. and Mrs. David Weaver. The brick
home was built by Sam Keys during the 1940s and is a classic example
of the Prairie style, with a low roofline and straight-line porch.
– 304 Tremont St., owned by Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Granitto. Built in
1805 by Issac Stiefel and later owned by Andrew Logan and Edna
Anderson, the home features a cross-gabled roof with decorative
half-timbering, stucco and multi-paned glazed windows, among other
features of English Tudor design.
of second column)
– 309 Tremont St., owned by Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Searby.
When built in 1928, the home was designed in the simple Prairie
Mission style, but in 1951 the exterior was changed dramatically and
it now resembles an Adirondack lodge, with a fieldstone foundation and
– 520 Tremont St., owned by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart Wyneken. The home
was constructed in 1922 for the Wilber Gullett family, who owned and
operated Gullett and Sons Florist and Greenhouse of Lincoln. Gullett
was Wyneken’s grandfather, so the current owners are the third
generation of the family to reside in the home. Some of the features
of the English Tudor residence include an original Vermont slate roof,
copper gutters and multi-paned windows. The home received the 1999
Mayors Award for Historical Preservation in residential preservation.
– 503 Delavan St., owned by Charles and Marilyn Pegram. The home,
built in 1866 by the Fogarty family, was originally designed as an
Italiante clapboard. In 1912, the Bunk family remodeled it to its
present Prairie design. The many beveled windows were purchased in
France as a wedding gift. The hitching stone still sits in the
backyard, with a stone used to assist a rider when mounting a horse.
– 419 Delavan St., owned by R. James and Rebecca Johnson. Henry
Abbott, who was born in England, came to Logan County about 1865 and,
after retiring from farming, built this house in the early 1870s. The
1875 city directory lists this as one of the first houses on Delavan
– 311 Delavan St., owned by Mark and Julia Gerardot. The home was
originally owned by R.B. Latham and consisted of two rooms constructed
in 1872. It has been enlarged many times over the years, but by the
late 1890s, it was similar to how it is seen today – a Victorian
– 227 Pekin St., owned by Rev. Paul Gilmore and Leta Herrington.
This example of Italianate architecture was built in 1864 by James
Gillespie, who was a local mercantile owner. The home features etched
glass highlights in double entry doors and was recently painted in
five complementary colors.
– 215 North Union St. This structure, designed by Lincoln architects
Deal and Ginzel in 1919 for Mrs. George Rohrer, was considered the
“landmark of Lincoln” at one time. It has served as the Kraus
Retirement Home since 1983.
– 229 N. Union St., owned by Mr. and Mrs. Don McCubbin. The hipped
roof and spindle work identify this Queen Anne style home, which also
features low cross-gables, a second-story porch and cutaway bay window
with brackets. Veterinarian Thomas Donald built the home in 1889.
Donald operated the largest horse farm in Illinois at that time.
– 417 N. Union St., owned by David Lanterman and Don Malotte. This
Spanish Imperial home was built as a unique duplex by the Leslie
Dowling family and is one of three identical homes designed by a
Peoria architect. The other two homes are located in New York and
California. The original characteristics of the home include a hipped
tile roof, central parapet and side portico.
– 700 N. Union St., owned by Mrs. Robert D. Edwards. (Please note:
View from Union Street, do not drive through). This Greek Revival
structure began in 1874 as a square-hipped roof style and was
originally the home of Benjamin and Ella Brainerd, who opened the
first bank in Lincoln, the Banking House of Brainerd and Duston.
Brainerd later was one of the organizers and largest stockholders of
First National Bank. Additions and remodeling were completed on the
house during the 1880s and 1890s. The fluted classical columns with
Corinthian capitals came from the old Springfield Marine Bank.
City Hall opened to the public on Monday, March 2, 1896, after the
various departments moved in over the weekend. There were 8,000
residents in Lincoln at the time.
first story was subdivided into various departments, with the second
story including the council chambers, offices for the mayor and city
attorney, and dormitory space for the fire department. The main
staircase, located in the rear of the building, was made of red oak,
and the upstairs floor is quarter-sawn yellow pine. The floors
throughout were laid double thickness with two layers of deafening
felt. Ceilings and walls were plastered, and all hardware was bronze
with a copper finish. The building was piped for gas and wired for
electricity as well, so that either energy source could be used.
(To top of second
basement housed the coal bin and a 25-by-48-foot room under the fire
department for tramps, who could apply to the police department for
safekeeping. If accepted, the “tramps” stayed in a room with a
concrete floor, water closet and sink, substantial bunks, and seats.
Windows and doors were covered with iron grates, and entry was from an
outside flight of steps.
has never used the telephone booth on the roof of City Hall, and it
certainly wasn’t an original fixture. It’s previously been used as
a lookout for inclement weather.
ASHA is a credentialing association of almost 100,000 speech-language
pathologists, audiologists, and scientists in the fields of
speech-language and hearing.
may contact the AHSA by phone at 800-638-8255, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit http://www.asha.org/contents.htm
for listings of certified audiologists and speech-language
pathologists, self-help groups, summer programs and brochures.
Nationally, audiologists and speech-language pathologists have
provided free hearing and speech screenings in May.
people can call Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital, 217-732-2161,
extension 179 (rehab department) to make appointments for hearing
screenings. Also, the Logan
County Public Health Department provides free hearing tests for
children (ages 2½ to 21) when parents or physicians suspect there is
hearing loss. For information,
call Peg Gilmer at 217-735-2317.
disorders affect an estimated 42 million Americans, including 28
million with hearing losses and 14 million with speech-language
disorders. These disorders can have adverse effects on a person’s
academic achievement, social adjustment and career advancement.
and speech-language pathologists can recommend preventive measures
(such as ear protection against noise exposure), identify and assess
existing communication disorders, provide information on coping
strategies, and recommend appropriate assistive technology, which can
range from hearing aids to voice-synthesizing computers.
top of second column)
Speech difficulties that
are diagnosed and treated by speech-language pathologists include the
Stuttering and other fluency problems
Articulation or pronunciation difficulties
(substituting, omitting or distorting sounds)
Disorders that limit a person’s ability to
understand language (Some
“learning disabilities” are actually language disorders.)
Voice disorders (This can include speech that
is too high, low, loud, soft, nasal or hoarse.)
Aphasia (Typically following head injury or
stroke, aphasia limits people’s ability to express what they are
thinking, although the thinking is clear.)
Speech-language pathologists also assist with
dysphagia, a swallowing disorder.
Audiologists identify and
assess hearing disorders. Treatment recommendations may include
hearing aids and other assistive devices. Hearing loss sometimes
develops gradually, with noise exposure or aging, for example.
These are signs of a possible hearing loss:
Frequently asking people to repeat what they
Turning one’s head to hear a sound better
Understanding conversation better when
wearing glasses or looking directly at the person talking
Difficulty following conversation in a group
Using radio or television at a volume that
other people say is too loud
Ringing or pain in the ears
Better Speech and Hearing
Month had its origins in 1927, when a group of “speech
correctionists,” as they were called then, selected the spring month
of May to symbolize the new life that speech treatment could give. The
emphasis later expanded to increase public awareness of other