The in-home tours are scheduled from 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Aug.
28. Begin at any of these homes and purchase a $5 ticket that covers
all three home tours:
151 Ninth St.
184 Ninth St. (former Maxwell home)
192 Ninth St.
151 Ninth St.
Robert and Mary Shattuck, owners
Beautiful example of an early 20th-century city house
incorporating influences from several preceding periods. The basic
shape of the house is the American Foursquare because of its
footprint shape. Eclectic Italianate brackets in the wide overhang,
which is Chicago “Prairie,” contribute to its stylish elevation,
completed by half-round windows in the gables. The porch has a
pressed metal ceiling, usually of more commercial usage but extremely
attractive in its usage here. The foundation tells of the lineage by
use of a “new” material: rusticated concrete block replacing earlier
brick walls. A graceful, highly efficient structure of the new
century in the early 1900s. It was possibly built for Louis and
Katherine Schaffenacker, listed as “retired” in the 1912 city
184 Ninth St.
Tim and Tami Kennett, owners
The house has a simple Italianate shape with a graceful
wraparound porch supported on Doric columns. The side elevation has
both a true bay window from ground to roof and a oriel window wall
projection. It was built around 1887 by James T. and Louise Hoblit.
Hoblit is listed in the 1887 city directory as a county judge. In
1912 the author William Maxwell's parents were owners. This was the
author's boyhood home. The house is described and events within are
included in several of Maxwell's stories, including “They Came Like
Swallows,” “Time Will Darken It” and “So Long, See You Tomorrow.”
192 Ninth St.
Caroline Kiest, owner
This is an interesting structure of an interesting time in
American history. It somewhat precedes popular Victorian styles and
follows the fortunes of its builders and subsequent owners in
stylistic additions. The original footprint is probably vernacular
American or Italianate enlarged lineally to the left and right,
almost completely symmetrical. The front porch followed the
perimeter, bumping out at one time around the central true bay
window before its removal. The porch columns are very stylishly
unusual in the tapered, rusticated concrete block piers. The
capitals of the graceful columns are Ionic. Those “curls” are said
to be feministic replicas of curled hair from a woman of the ancient
Greek Empire. The interior was at one time done in the style of a
German hunting lodge, possibly reminiscent of an owner's homeland.
It is listed in city directories as the residence of Arch Wall,
carpenter and probable builder of the house, in 1871 to 1892. The
current owners' family has owned the home from that time,
contributing to its beautiful condition.
Heritage," a drive-by tour
Free to drive by at any time, "Lincoln's Heritage," is a tour of Lincoln's historic and architecturally significant homes and
businesses. Be sure to take your family and have someone to navigate
and narrate as you drive by these great locations too.
Suggested driving route:
Starting at 112 Fifth St., turn left onto South Union.
stop sign, turn right onto Pulaski Street. In the second block on
your right is the Zion Lutheran Church.
Proceed down Pulaski Street
and turn left onto South Sherman Street. Across the street on your
right at the corner of North Sherman and Broadway is the Allen
Turn left onto Broadway. At the second traffic
light, turn right onto North Kickapoo Street. Just before the
stop sign, 116 N. Kickapoo is on your right.
Continue down North Kickapoo three blocks to 504 N. Kickapoo,
your right at the far corner of Peoria Street and North Kickapoo
Turn left onto Peoria and left onto North Chicago
Street. Proceed down Chicago Street. After the second stop sign, 114 N.
Chicago St. will be on your left.
At the next stop sign, turn right onto Broadway. At the traffic light
turn right onto North
Logan Street. Pass 227 and 328 N. Logan and turn left onto
You will pass 620, 405, 216 and 203 Tremont St.
At stop sign, turn right onto North Union. Turn right onto Peoria
and view 110 and 328 Peoria St.
At 328 Peoria St., turn left onto
Water Street. Then turn left onto Lincoln Avenue. View 314 and 205
Turn right onto North Union. Proceed through the
traffic light and turn left onto 19th Street. Turn left onto
Oglesby Street, passing 226 Oglesby.
Turn right onto Woodlawn Road and take the quick second left onto
North Elm Street. Proceed down North Elm Street and turn left onto
11th Street. Passing 135 Eleventh
St., turn right onto North Union and left onto Delavan Street.
Passing 419 Delavan St., turn right onto North Logan Street and
take the next right onto Pekin Street.
View 422, 325, 304, 227 and 220 Pekin St.
At the stop sign at Pekin Street and North Union, 215 N. Union
is across the street and to the right..
Turn left onto North Union. At the stop sign, turn right onto
Eighth Street. Passing 455 Eighth St., turn left onto South
At the stop sign at
the corner of South College Street and Fifth Street,
a left turn will take you back to downtown Lincoln, or a right turn
will take you past Postville Courthouse and to Lincoln Parkway, with
access to Interstate 55 to Springfield or Bloomington, Route 121-Route 10 and Interstate 155 to Peoria.
112 -- Childhood home of Reinhold Niebuhr
Built in 1903 as the rectory for St. John's Church of Christ.
Reinhold Niebuhr, renowned theologian and author of the Serenity
Prayer, lived in this house from 1903 to 1920. Features original
woodwork, stained-glass windows and transoms upstairs. Currently
owned by Stuart and Linda Churchill.
205 -- Zion Lutheran Church
Built in 1903, the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church is a
Gothic-like structure. New Holland Zion Lutheran Church (early
1900s) and Lincoln's Faith Lutheran Church (1928) were established
as mission churches by the Lincoln congregation.
902 -- Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Built in 1868, this was the church home of Aaron Dyer, a worker
in the Underground Railroad. Original limestone window sills, 95
percent brick and mortar, interior pulpit furniture and some pews.
[to top of second column in
North Kickapoo Street
116 -- Two-story building used for business
Built in 1901 and used for business. The George Becker family
operated a furniture store in the building from 1907 to 1935.
Currently used for business and private home of Franklin "Jack” and
504 -- Early Victorian Queen Anne
Built in 1892 by William O. Shepherd, a painter. Features include
pitched roofs, gables, original multicolored glass windows,
wraparound porch, original brick sidewalk, Victorian diamond window
upstairs, original woodwork, transoms. Currently owned by Elizabeth
“Beth” Davis, Lincoln mayor.
North Chicago Street
114 -- Business building
Built in 1894 as the Basket Grocery. Later the property served as
real estate business and antique store owned by Dale Williams.
Original front doors still in use today. Currently owned by and
houses the Logan County Genealogical and Historical Society.
North Logan Street
227 -- Plantation style
Built in 1859 by Samuel Smith. Also owned by William P. Randolph, an
attorney who ran for public office and was a member of one of the
established families of Lincoln. Currently owned by Michael R.
328 -- Georgian Colonial design
Built in 1917 by the Gullett family. The Gulletts owned the
largest greenhouse in the United States at that time and shipped
flowers worldwide. Currently owned by Steve and Lanita Shoemaker.
620 -- Owned by Gullett family
Built over 75 years ago and owned by the Gullett family.
Currently owned by James and Diane Coop.
405 -- French Second Empire style
Built in 1869 by M.W. Barrett, a grain dealer, owner of the grain
elevator and incorporator of the Lincoln Public Library. The keyhole
window is a unique feature. Owned since 1986 and being restored by
Dr. Steen and Cheryl Spove.
216 -- English Colonial style
Built in 1911. In the 1930s the house was owned by the Housers.
Mrs. Maude Strawn Houser used the property for a health and dance
studio -- swimming lessons, dance lessons, tearoom. Original
limestone rocks from the original Postville Courthouse are still in
use in a rock fence. Current owners are Charles and Elaine
203 -- Queen Anne Victorian
Built in 1902. Currently owned by Dan and Linda Bosse.
110 -- Architects Deal and Ginzel
Built in 1917 for Dr. A.M. Drummy. The current owners, Robert and
Sharon Hickman, have the original plans to the home.
328 -- Stick Victorian
Built in 1890 and 1891 for Ellen McKenzie. Elaborate balustrades,
balusters, railings, columns and gingerbread work define this home.
Lincoln College owned the house for 20 years, using it for faculty
and student housing. The current owners, Donald and Georgia Vinson,
have owned the house since 1975.
205 -- Spanish style
Built in 1920 by Arthur Pickreli and A.L. Pillsbury of Bloomington.
Features a red tile roof and stucco walls. Currently owned by Mr.
and Mrs. Richard H. Morris Sr.
314 -- Small Colonial design
Built in 1898. Home to Samuel Parks, D.H. Hart (1903), Tom and
Britta Harris. Currently owned by Laverda Taylor.
226 -- One-room schoolhouse
Built in 1907 as a one-room schoolhouse. In 1940 it was remodeled
into a private residence. Currently owned by Duane and Marjory
135 -- Rooming house
Built in 1877-1880 by the children of Jacob Mundy, surveyor, as
servants' quarters. Later served as a rooming house. Currently owned
Julian and Elsie K. Menzel.
419 -- Vernacular "I"-type
Built approximately 1870. Owned by Rev. Icenbarger, a Methodist
minister; Henry Abbot, a pioneer and farmer; Laura Armstrong
(1930-40s), dean of women at Lincoln High School. Currently owned by
R. James and Rebecca Johnson.
422 -- Parsonage
Built in 1892 as parsonage for Immanuel Lutheran Church. Currently
owned by Mr. and Mrs. D. Troy Pruitt.
325 -- Dutch Colonial style
Built and designed in 1900 by Spellmand and Orton for Franklin
Cleveland Orion. Currently owned by Ed Barry and houses the Holland
and Barry Funeral Home.
227 -- Italian Victorian
Built in 1854. Currently owned by Karen Roe Sager.
220 -- Over 75 years old
Believed to have been built prior to 1895. Currently owned by Kay
North Union Street
215 -- Craftsmen
Built in 1919 for Mrs. George Rohrer by Deal and Ginzel.
Currently used as the Kraus Retirement Home and owned by Eugene F.
and Betty Hickey.
455 -- William Maxwell birthplace
Built in 1906. Parents of William Maxwell, author, were the first
residents. William Maxwell was born here. House and fireplace
mentioned in his writings. Currently owned by Betty York.
* * *
Historic Homes and Buildings Commission
was established by Mayor Beth Davis prior to Lincoln's
sesquicentennial. It was formed in an effort to recognize and
encourage preserving local homes and buildings of historical
Featured structures meet one or
more of the following criteria and display a plaque.
- Beth Davis, mayor
- Betty York, chair
- Georgia Vinson
- Shirley Bartelmay
- Phyllis Bryson
- Richard Sumrall
- Bill Gosda
- Ann LaForge
- Jean Cypher
- Linda Churchill
- Joe Pelc
- Derrick Crane
R. James Johnson
commission extends heartfelt appreciation to the gracious homeowners
of these fine homes!
Youngquist and tour brochures]