Hong Chang Corporation of Santa Fe Springs, Calif., said it is
recalling the product labeled as monkfish because it may contain
tetrodotoxin, a potent toxin.
While the frozen fish imported from
China was labeled monkfish, the company said it is concerned that it
may be pufferfish because this toxin is usually associated with
certain types of pufferfish.
Eating foods containing tetrodotoxin can result in
life-threatening illness or death, and the toxin cannot be destroyed
by cooking or freezing.
The company said two people in the Chicago area became ill after
eating soup containing the fish. Analysis by the Food and Drug
Administration confirmed the presence of the toxin.
According to the company, some 282 22-pound boxes of the fish were distributed to
wholesalers in Illinois, California and Hawaii, beginning in September. The fish was sold in retail stores,
restaurants and cash and carry stores in these regions.
[to top of second column]
The fish are individually packaged in clear plastic sleeves and
placed in a plastic liner, which is inside a cardboard box. There are
no lot numbers on the box. Labels on one panel read "MONK FISH
GUTTED AND HEAD-OFF PRODUCT OF CHINA."
A second box panel bears nutritional facts and the following:
"Ingredients: Monk fish; Imported by: Hong Chang Corp., Santa Fe
Springs, CA 90670; Product of China (P.R.C.)."
Consumers who have purchased this monkfish can return it to the
place of purchase for a full refund. Care should be exercised in
handling the fish as the tetrodotoxin may be present on the skin and
flesh of the fish. Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Consumers with questions may contact the company at
People who may have consumed these products and have concerns are
encouraged to contact their health care provider. Illnesses
associated with consumption of these products should be reported to
the nearest FDA district offices and to the local health authority.
from file received from AP