Monday, August 18, 2008
sponsored by Jake's Furnishings

'Hot air' taken out of the weekend forecast

But rains could present Art & Balloon Festival problems

Send a link to a friend

[August 18, 2008]  Hundreds of people in Lincoln have their eyes turned toward the coming weekend and the annual Art & Balloon Festival.

Last Monday was the first time in 222 days that there were no flood warnings in Illinois, according to Dan Smith, regional coordinator for the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. The past week's weather has been one of the best in memory.

As late as Saturday, the 10-day weather model showed temperatures as high as 98 degrees for the weekend. Fortunately the latest National Weather Service model shows temps going back into a normal August range of 85-88 degrees by the end of the week.

Unfortunately, this drop in forecasted temperatures is due to an upper-level trough that will bring a cold front into the area late on Thursday or early on Friday. This convection can cause rain in our area Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The chance of precipitation for Friday is 20 percent, with a 30 percent chance of showers on Saturday and a 50 percent chance of rain on Sunday. The National Weather Service does not believe any of the rains will be heavy, but they could put a damper on festivities.

Because of the weather pattern activity, there is a chance that the forecast will change again, and possibly the rain will be minimal this weekend. But the chances of a completely dry art and balloon fest are not promising at the time of this report.

LDN will keep you up to date on the weekend's weather with the latest information as it is received.

[National Weather Service, European Central Midrange Weather Forecast, LDN]





< Top Stories index

Back to top


News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching and Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries

Community | Perspectives | Law and Courts | Leisure Time | Spiritual Life | Health and Fitness | Teen Scene
Calendar | Letters to the Editor