Thursday, August 21, 2008
sponsored by Jake's Furnishings

Illinois seniors urged to file income tax returns

Stimulus checks tied to filing 2007 return

Send a link to a friend

[August 21, 2008]  SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois Department on Aging Director Charles D. Johnson is reminding seniors who have not filed an income tax return for 2007 to file by the Oct. 15 deadline in order to receive an economic stimulus check from the Internal Revenue Service. As the deadline approaches, there are reports that many residents, including seniors, have not submitted their tax returns.

"Even people who are not normally required to file a tax return must file one for last year in order to receive a stimulus check," said Johnson. "Some seniors may forget they are entitled to receive a stimulus check because they do not usually file federal taxes. But, they may indeed have money due to them. It's important to submit a tax return to receive a check."

The stimulus check is available to anyone who had an income of at least $3,000 in 2007. The income can come from a combination of benefits, such as Social Security, veteran's assistance or earned income. Since benefits such as Social Security and veteran's assistance are not taxable, people who receive those benefits usually do not need to file annual income tax returns. But, income tax returns (1040A) must be filed in order to receive the stimulus check. The IRS has created an amended version of the 1040A form to make it easier for those who do not usually file.


The stimulus checks are part of the federal government's effort to boost the economy. The IRS began mailing checks and direct deposits in May. People applying with the $3,000 minimum income can receive the $300 stimulus, or $600 if they file a joint tax return with their spouse. Applicants may also receive an extra $300 for each qualified child under 17 years old.

[to top of second column]



Johnson also reiterated his previous warning about people trying to scam seniors out of their stimulus checks. "You do not have to respond to a phone call nor e-mail in order to receive your economic stimulus check," he said. "Simply file your tax return, and if eligible, you will receive the check."

Taxpayers who wish to find out if they are due a refund from their last annual tax return filing may use the "Where's My Refund?" interactive application at the only official IRS site on the Web,

For more information about program services to assist older adults in Illinois and their caregivers, call the Department on Aging Senior HelpLine at 1-800-252-8966 or, for TTY (hearing-impaired use only), call 888-206-1327.

[Text from Illinois Department on Aging file received from the Illinois Office of Communication and Information]

< Top Stories index

Back to top


News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching and Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries

Community | Perspectives | Law and Courts | Leisure Time | Spiritual Life | Health and Fitness | Teen Scene
Calendar | Letters to the Editor