The proposed monument was to be constructed from the best quality
American marble with a life-size figure of a soldier to be placed on
top. The pillars were to have suitable room to include the names of
300 soldiers and their date of death as well as the company and
regiment they served in.
The contract was awarded to Bushway and
Baldwin, marble cutters, for $5,600.
The Logan County Board of Supervisors on Sept. 9, 1867, voted
$3,000 from the funds of the county toward paying for the monument.
The city of Lincoln also voted to issue $1,000 in city bonds for the
same purpose, and individual contributions raised another $1,000
toward the cost of the statue. The board of supervisors then
appropriated an additional $1,000 to ensure the monument be built
and offered a space on the courthouse grounds for the statue to be
Lawrence L. Stringer's "History of Logan County" provides this
The 23 foot-tall monument was
completed in the spring of 1869, and was located north of the Court
House. It consisted of two base stones, upon which rested the column
with the names of 326 of the heroic dead, a small column resting on
a plinth, and the whole crowned by a life-sized statue of a
uniformed soldier "at attention."
June 10 was set as the date for dedication. On that day, the
monument was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies attended by
Short on looks but long on history. Courthouse
security guard R.G. Meador brought the old soldier's head into the
courthouse before it disappeared. (Click on picture for larger
[to top of second column]
The monument was moved early in the 1900s. Stringer explains:
At the time of the erection of the
present new court house in 1903, the reorganization of the grounds
necessitated a change in the site of the monument. By this time, the
elements had discolored the monument somewhat, and the Board had the
entire monument cleaned and rehabilitated. They also relocated it on
a site northwest of the court house midway between the building and
the northwest corner of the court house square, elevated it upon two
large bases of red granite, in the center of a wide cement sidewalk,
all at a cost of about $1,000.
The statue was rapidly deteriorating for the past several decades
as ice, cold and rain continued to damage the stone. For the last
several decades, the soldier's face and the names etched into the
stone had been lost with the ravages of time and Mother Nature.
Finally, on Dec. 27, the strong winds that chiseled their way
through the square brought the old soldier down.
[Quotes and historical information
from Lawrence L. Stringer's "History of Logan County"; LDN staff]