Other News...

Sponsored by

Man Using Torch Sets His House on Fire

Send a link to a friend

[January 23, 2008]  LIMA, Ohio (AP) -- A man using a propane torch to thaw a frozen water pipe inadvertently set fire to his house Monday, authorities said. John Miller Sr. was working with the propane torch in a crawl space when a wall caught fire, filling the house with smoke, said Shawnee Township Fire Chief Tim Mosher.

Miller, who managed to flee the home before firefighters arrived, said the flame of the propane torch had been on the water pipe for only a few minutes.

"I've done it a hundred times and never had a problem," Miller said.

Mosher said damage to the house was about several thousand dollars.

"You have a hard enough time and then something like this happens," Miller said.

Lima is about 70 miles southwest of Toledo.


Information from: The Lima News, http://www.limanews.com/

[Associated Press]

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

< Top Stories index

Back to top


News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching & Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries

Community | Perspectives | Law & Courts | Leisure Time | Spiritual Life | Health & Fitness | Teen Scene
Calendar | Letters to the Editor