At least five civilians were wounded in the attack, but it was unclear if anyone was killed, Interior Ministry spokesman Zemeri Bashary said. The head of Kabul's criminal investigations unit confirmed that it was a suicide car bomber but said he was on his way to the scene and did not yet have further details.
NATO forces confirmed that an explosion hit near Camp Phoenix, a U.S.-run base in the capital, but did not have further details. Lt. Nico Melendez, a NATO spokesman, said he did not yet have reports of injuries.
The strike follows on a bold attack last week by Taliban militants on government buildings in the heart of Kabul. The Jan. 18 attack paralyzed the city for hours and left five civilians and Afghan security forces dead, along with the seven assailants.