[to top of second column]
Commonwealth Games Federation President Mike Fennell was to arrive in India late Thursday on an emergency visit and planned to meet with top Indian officials to discuss the problems.
So far, four athletes -- including three world champions -- have said they won't attend because of health or safety concerns, but no national teams have pulled out.
"Everybody wants to make this work, and everyone is working together to make this happen," Hooper said.
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key told Parliament that the nation's athletes will participate in the games unless security or health standards are badly compromised and a decision could be made by Friday.
"Obviously they'll be cognizant of what's happening with other countries, but it's certainly my preference for them to be able to attend the games if they possibly can," he said.
New Delhi has been a frenzy of activity in recent weeks, as the city struggles to ready itself for the games, which are to begin Oct. 3. The city has had seven years to prepare, though very little work was done until 2008.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
< Sports index
Back to top
News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching & Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries
Law & Courts |
Spiritual Life |
Health & Fitness |
Calendar | Letters to the Editor