Multi-agency 'Hands-on Home Safety' event Saturday
Send a link to a friend
[June 08, 2011]
The public is invited to a fun,
informative event Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. focusing on home
safety. The "Hands-on Home Safety" day will be at the offices of the
Logan County Paramedic Association and Lincoln Rural Fire Protection
District, 1300 N. Postville Drive.
Home safety demonstrations are planned, along with a free hot dog
meal from noon to 1 p.m. and activities for children, including a
bouncy house, the Stay Alive House and tours of fire trucks and
ambulances. Door prizes include fire extinguishers, weather radios
and carbon monoxide detectors.
Free classes in basic CPR and
training in AED use will be offered. Participants need to preregister by
calling the Logan County Paramedic Association at 732-2212.
The Hands-on Home Safety event is co-sponsored by the Lincoln
Police Department, Lincoln Fire Department, Logan County Sheriff’s
Department, Logan County Department of Public Health, Logan County
EMA, The Courier, The Christian Village, Logan County Paramedic
Association and Lincoln Rural Fire Protection District.
Each year preventable injuries are the fifth-leading cause of
death in the U.S. Preventable injuries in the home are 2.5 times
more likely to cause injury than car crashes. The leading causes of
home injury and death are falls, poisonings, fires and burns,
choking, and drowning.
According to officials with the National Home Safety Council,
just a few simple steps can dramatically reduce the dangers in most
homes and even make a lifesaving difference. Information about these
steps will be distributed at the Hands-on Home Safety event.
[Text from file received]