Tuesday, March 13, 2012
sponsored by

Monday morning fire at WLLM radio station

Send a link to a friend

[March 13, 2012]  At 7:26 a.m. Monday, the Lincoln Fire Department responded to WLLM radio station, 800 South Postville Drive, for a smoke investigation. Employees at WLLM first noticed a strange odor at about 6:10 a.m. and called Ameren to check for a possible gas leak. When a representative from the utility company arrived, it was determined that the odor was smoke and not a gas leak.

HardwareWhen the first Lincoln Fire Department units arrived on the scene, they discovered light smoke in the attic of the structure. Firefighters were able to gain access to the attic and knock the fire down with two fire extinguishers. They were then able to remove some of the ceiling to gain better access to the fire area. The fire was extinguished using very little water, to try to protect the station's radio equipment.

The fire did minor damage to the structure. The cost of the damage is estimated to be about $15,000

No one was injured in the fire.

The cause of the fire appears to be related to the building's electrical system and is officially listed as accidental.

[Text from file received Bret Tripplett, lead investigator, and Chief Mark Miller, Lincoln Fire Department]

< Top Stories index

Back to top


News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching and Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries

Community | Perspectives | Law and Courts | Leisure Time | Spiritual Life | Health and Fitness | Teen Scene
Calendar | Letters to the Editor