[to top of second column]
Spokesmen for other detergent-makers did not immediately say if they also planned changes. Sun Products Corp., which makes "mighty pacs" sold under the all brand name, is evaluating its packaging, spokeswoman Kathryn Corbally said. Henkel Consumer Goods, which distributes Purex Ultrapacks, and Church & Dwight, which makes OxiClean and Arm & Hammer packs, declined to say if any changes were planned.
The packets appear to cause more severe symptoms than typical detergent, possibly because a single packet has a full cup's worth of detergent or because the packets might activate more quickly or differently.
In suburban Philadelphia, a 17-month-old boy climbed onto a dresser and popped a detergent package in his mouth. The boy vomited, became drowsy and started coughing, said Dr. Fred Henretig of the Poison Control Center at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. The boy was put on a ventilator for a day and hospitalized for a week.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
< Recent articles
Back to top
News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching & Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries
Law & Courts |
Spiritual Life |
Health & Fitness |
Calendar | Letters to the Editor