1. OBAMA TAKES "FISCAL CLIFF" FIGHT OUTSIDE THE BELTWAY
The president will employ campaign-style tactics in the Philadelphia suburbs, hoping to mobilize public support as the year-end deadline for reaching a deal with Congress over taxes and spending cuts looms.
2. WHY U.N. VOTE RECOGNIZING PALESTINE MAY ULTIMATELY DISAPPOINT
Real independence remains an elusive dream until the Palestinians negotiate a peace deal with the Israelis.
3. ISLAMISTS APRROVE EGYPT'S CONSTITUTION
A draft constitution is passed without the participation of liberal and Christian members, a move that further inflames the clash between the opposition and President Mohammed Morsi.
4. WHO MIGHT'VE HIT THE POWERBALL JACKPOT
The Missouri Lottery confirms one winning ticket and is expected to reveal the winner at noon. The second ticket holder, in Arizona, remains a mystery.
5. SENATE REVIVES DEBATE ON CIVIL LIBERTIES
By voting that American citizens suspected of terrorism and seized on U.S. soil may not be held indefinitely, it sets up a fight with the House, which rejected efforts to bar indefinite detention earlier this year.
6. RIGHTS GROUP URGES MORE COMPASSIONATE PRISON RELEASES
For humanitarian and economic reasons, the federal Bureau of Prisons should grant more early releases to incapacitated and terminally ill prisoners, advocacy groups say in a report.
[to top of second column]
7. MYANMAR TACKLES CITIZENSHIP QUANDARY
In an exclusive report by AP's Todd Pitman, authorities in western Myanmar are tasked with determining who is a citizen. Rohingya Muslims seem to have the most to lose.
8. SOURCE TELLS AP: STRAUSS-KAHN AGREES TO SETTLE WITH ACCUSER
Hotel maid's lawsuit alleged that the former IMF chief tried to rape her in a New York hotel.
9. RESEARCHERS NAIL DOWN SEA MYSTERY
Scientists have figured out how to determine the age of a lobster -- by the number of rings in its eyestalk or in the teeth-like structures found in its stomach.
10. NOT SO SAINTLY NIGHT FOR BREES
The star quarterback throws five interceptions, damaging New Orleans' playoff hopes in a 23-13 loss to rival Atlanta
Copyright 2012 The Associated
Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.