Cleveland man found guilty in city's
deadliest house fire
Send a link to a friend
[December 14, 2013]
By Kim Palmer
CLEVELAND (Reuters) — A Cleveland man
accused of setting the city's deadliest house fire, which killed eight
children and a woman, was found guilty by a jury on Friday, a spokesman
for the U.S. Attorney's office said.
Antun Lewis, 29, was convicted of arson and faces up to life in
prison when he is sentenced in March, said Mike Tobin, spokesman for
the U.S. Attorney in Cleveland.
Lewis had been convicted two years ago of arson, but was granted a
new trial by a federal judge who found that prosecutors relied too
heavily on unreliable witnesses in the earlier trial, including jail
Lewis' new trial began in November before U.S. District Court Judge
Solomon Oliver Jr. and was turned over to the jury late on Thursday.
Oliver previously ruled that the defendant's IQ was too low for him
to be eligible for the death penalty.
Lewis was accused of using gasoline to set a fire that killed Medeia
Carter and eight children, aged 7 to 14, who were attending a
birthday sleepover at her house in 2005.
The case was prosecuted in federal court because Carter was
receiving federal housing assistance to pay for her home.
Prosecutors presented the testimony of jail house informants who
said Lewis admitted to setting the fire because of a grudge he had
with someone he thought was in the house.
Prosecutors said in closing arguments that a witness saw Lewis buy
gasoline and enter Carter's house through a side door minutes before
authorities received the report of a fire.
[to top of second column]
Phone records placed Lewis in the area at the time of the fire and
he changed his explanation of his whereabouts that night several
times, prosecutors said.
Defense attorneys conceded that Lewis bought $5 of gasoline shortly
before the fire, but said Lewis lived a few streets away and it was
not unusual for him to be in the area.
In his closing argument, Lewis's attorney, Angelo Lonardo, told
jurors on Thursday it did not make sense that Lewis would burn down
a house when his 12-year-old sister, one of the victims, was inside.
He also urged jurors not to believe the testimony of "career
criminals" and "con men" presented by prosecutors.
Lewis is scheduled to be sentenced on March 18.
(Reporting by Kim Palmer; editing by David Bailey, Chris Reese,
Andrew Hay and Richard Chang)
[© 2013 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2013 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.