1. FUGITIVE STANDOFF ENDS AT BURNING CALIFORNIA
The ex-officer suspected of killing four people was believed to have died in the mountain cabin after a shootout with police.
2. OBAMA TO REPUBLICANS: DO IT MY WAY
The president set up high-stakes clashes over guns, immigrations, taxes and climate change in his State of the Union address.
3. POPE FACES HIS FOLLOWERS
Benedict XVI says he's stepping down for "the good of the church" in his first public appearance since announcing his resignation.
4. WHAT NORTH KOREA GAINS FROM NUKE TESTS
The blasts put young leader Kim Jong Un and his advisers right where they want to be: at the center of the world's attention.
5. COMCAST BUYING UP NBCUNIVERSAL
Completing the deal for the owner of NBC should make Comcast less vulnerable to rising TV programming costs.
6. CROAT SOCCER STAR REJECTS FIXING MATCHES
Mario Cizmek tells The AP he threw games because he owed money on back taxes near the end of his career.
7. LOOKING FOR ALIENS ON EARTH
Scientists are studying rocks billions of years old for information that can be used to guide the search for life on Mars.
[to top of second column]
8. SENATOR NEEDS A WATER BREAK
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio's grab for a water bottle during the Republican response to the State of the Union lit up social media outlets.
9. CRUISE LINE DEFENDS PASSENGER TREATMENT ABOARD DISABLED SHIP
Carnival President Gerry Cahill says the ship on its way to Alabama has running water and some working bathrooms.
10. TOP DOG CROWNED AT WESTMINSTER
The 5-year-old affenpinscher Banana Joe edged a 20-month-old English sheepdog to win best in show.
Copyright 2013 The Associated
Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.