The event to be commemorated is a speech given by Abraham Lincoln on
the Logan County Courthouse lawn on Oct. 16, 1858, one day after the
last of the famous Lincoln-Douglas debates, at Alton, during the
senatorial campaign of 1858.
Main Street Lincoln's interest in the
event is not new. In 2008, the 150th anniversary of the speech, Main
Street organized a successful and entertaining re-enactment. Also in
2008, the organization commissioned a painting of the 1858 speech.
The painting, which can be viewed at Lincoln College, depicts
Lincoln speaking to a crowd of 5,000 on the courthouse lawn.
Main Street had a limited run of prints of the painting produced
when it was commissioned. The work was funded by a grant from the
Looking for Lincoln Bicentennial Committee. Main Street is making a
portion of those prints available to the Abraham Lincoln Statue
Committee for fundraising purposes.
The statue committee will award copies of the prints to donors.
Individuals who donate $100 will receive a print, unframed. Those
donors are asked to pay for framing if desired. Groups, businesses and
corporations making a donation of $500 will receive a framed print.
[to top of second column]
The statue committee has established a budget of approximately
$48,000 for the project. The bronze statue of Abraham Lincoln will
take $45,000 of the budget. A sign, similar to the one near the
Civil War monument, will tell the story of the speech and include an
image of the painting. The sign and the dedication ceremony are
expected to take up the remainder of the budget.
Donations are to be made to the Logan County Genealogical &
Historical Society, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, thus making
donations to the project tax-deductible. Donations may be dropped
off at or mailed to LCGHS at 114 N. Chicago St., Lincoln, IL 62656.
The memo line on a check should note that the donation is for the A.
Lincoln statue. Donors should include contact information so
committee members can give them information about receiving the
[Text from file received from the
Genealogical & Historical Society]