1. OBAMA TURNS TO BUDGET EXPERT FOR CABINET PICK
Chief of staff Jack Lew would become Treasury Secretary as the administration braces for Republican battles over national debt.
2. WHITE HOUSE REACHES OUT TO GUN OWNERS
Vice President Joe Biden meets with sportsmen and the National Rifle Association as he develops Obama's gun control plan.
3. THE MOST DANGEROUS NATION
A study says more Americans die of violent deaths than in any other wealthy country in the world.
4. INDIA GANG RAPE SUSPECTS GO TO COURT
A lawyer says police beat the five men charged with the assault and killing of a young woman aboard a moving bus.
5. INAUGURATION SEATS FOR THE HIGHEST BIDDER
Tickets for Obama's swearing-in are being peddled on eBay and Craigslist for up to $2,000 apiece.
6. TROOP DEPLOYMENT KEY TO U.S.-AFGHANISTAN TALKS
How many soldiers are needed to protect diplomats will be a likely topic as Hillary Rodham Clinton meets with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
[to top of second column]
7. PASSENGERS THROWN FROM FERRY IN NYC CRASH
At least 70 people were hurt when the Seastreak Wall Street slammed into a lower Manhattan dock.
8. WILL IT BE THE DOG, THE SHOE OR THE THIMBLE
Hasbro is holding a Facebook contest to eliminate one of the eight Monopoly player tokens and introduce another one.
9. STEROIDS CAST A LONG SHADOW
For only the second time in four decades, no player is selected for baseball's Hall of Fame.
10. WHO'S ON THE LIST FOR HOLLYWOOD'S BIGGEST NIGHT
"Lincoln," "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Les Miserables" are all favorites to become multiple Oscar nominees at 8:38 a.m.
Copyright 2013 The Associated
Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.