1. OBAMA TO PROPOSE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN
The administration also wants Congress to ban high-capacity magazines like those used in Newtown, Conn.
2. NEARLY 6 IN 10 AMERICANS WANT STRICTER GUN LAWS
The Associated Press-GfK poll finds 84 percent of Americans also want a federal standard for background checks.
3. A RUSH-HOUR HELICOPTER CRASH IN LONDON
The aircraft went down near a major underground station and the British spy agency MI6, killing two.
4. DREAMLINERS GROUNDED IN JAPAN
The Boeing Co. 787s are undergoing safety checks after an All Nippon Airways plane made an emergency landing in western Japan.
5. A WAY FOR ARMSTRONG TO GET BACK IN THE GAME
The World Anti-Doping Agency says he must confess under oath if he wants to reduce his lifetime ban from sports.
6. HOW HEALTHY ARE ENERGY DRINKS
A government survey says ER visits tied to their consumption doubled over the past four years.
[to top of second column]
7. THE PRICE OF A STUDENT ATHLETE
Public universities in big-time conferences like the SEC are spending more than $100,000 per athlete, about six times the per-student expense on academics.
8. WHAT 18 HUMAN HEADS WERE DOING AT THE AIRPORT
Seized by Chicago customs officials, the heads had been used for medical research in Italy and were being returned to be cremated.
9. FIND IT ON FACEBOOK
The social network, aiming to compete better with Google and other rivals, unveils a new search feature.
10. WHY 'AMERICAN IDOL' HAS HIGH RATINGS HOPES
The show, which returns Wednesday, is shelling out $36 million for superstar judges.
Copyright 2013 The Associated
Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.