sponsored by:

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

First Cumberland Presbyterian Church to

celebrate 100 years on Broadway Street

Send a link to a friend


On September 28 and 29 the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church invites the community to come out and join them in a Centennial Celebration of the current church building.

The Church lactated at 110 Broadway Street was completed in 1913.  The church body was formed 1857 and occupied multiple locations between that year and 1913 when they dedicated the new building that has served them for the past 100 years.

Below is an brief excerpt from the church history showing the progression of the church from itís formation to completion of the current facility.

[Copy begins]


The first Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Lincoln, Illinois, was organized Saturday, May 7, 1857, by the Rev. Thornton K . Hedges, in what was then known as Boren 's Hall, on Pulaski Street. The following persons were charter members in the organization of the church: George W. Edgar, Mary W. Edgar, John Howser, Mrs. Litha J. Howser,

Mrs.  Mary  J. Hedges, J. S. Metcalf,  Mrs. Meldonnette  Metcalf , John  Crang,  Mrs. Elizabeth  Crang, Abraham Duff , Mrs. Sarah J. Duff , J. C. Horney, Mrs. Elizabeth   Horney,   James M. Duff  and Sarah Duff.  George W.  Edgar, John S. Metcalf   and John  Howser  composed the first official board. 

Shortly after the organization the small, but courageous band erected  a  small  wooden  building  on  South  McLean  Street, in which  they  worshipped  until  1866.   That  year  they  erected  a brick  edifice  at  the  corner  of  Ottawa  and  Pekin  Streets. In 1895 this building was razed to give place to one of larger and better accommodation, for the congregation had out grown the old building.   This house was dedicated to the service of God on Sunday, May 17, 1896, and was the home of the congregation until 1906, when it was occupied by the Presbyterians.   Being now without a church home, the members rented the W. C. T. U. tabernacle on North Logan  Street and  worship  there  until  May 11, 1913, when  they  dedicated  the building located  at  the  corner of  Broadway  and  Ottawa  Streets, which  is the place  of  worship for the congregation at the present.

[copy ends]

 In celebration of the 100 year anniversary the church will host a cookout on the church lawn Saturday the 28th at 5:30 p.m., followed by a celebratory worship service.  The guest speaker for the evening event will be Rev. Eduardo Montoya pastor of the Ebeneser Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Chicago, II.

On Sunday morning worship will be preached by the Rev. George Estes and will be followed by a great old fashioned church Potluck.

The Community is invited to join the church congregation in thanksgiving to God for his faithfulness through the years. 

[Text from file received from Rev. Steve Blaum]


< Recent articles

Back to top