The church at 110 Broadway St. was completed in 1913. The church
body was formed in 1857 and occupied multiple locations between that
year and 1913, when they dedicated the new building that has served
them for the past 100 years.
Below is a brief excerpt from the
church history, showing the progression of the church from its
formation to the completion of the current facility.
A BRIEF HISTORY
Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Lincoln, Illinois, was organized
Saturday, May 7, 1857, by the Rev. Thornton K. Hedges, in what was
then known as Boren's Hall, on Pulaski Street. The following persons
were charter members in the organization of the church: George W.
Edgar, Mary W. Edgar, John Howser, Mrs. Litha J. Howser, Mrs. Mary
J. Hedges, J. S. Metcalf, Mrs. Meldonnette Metcalf, John Crang, Mrs.
Elizabeth Crang, Abraham Duff, Mrs. Sarah J. Duff, J. C. Horney,
Mrs. Elizabeth Horney, James M. Duff and Sarah Duff. George W.
Edgar, John S. Metcalf and John Howser composed the first official
Shortly after the
organization the small, but courageous band erected a small wooden
building on South McLean Street, in which they worshipped until
1866. That year they erected a brick edifice at the corner of Ottawa
and Pekin Streets. In 1895 this building was razed to give place to
one of larger and better accommodation, for the congregation had out
grown the old building. This house was dedicated to the service of
God on Sunday, May 17, 1896, and was the home of the congregation
until 1906, when it was occupied by the Presbyterians. Being now
without a church home, the members rented the W. C. T. U. tabernacle
on North Logan Street and worship(ed) there until May 11, 1913, when
they dedicated the building located at the corner of Broadway and
Ottawa Streets, which is the place of worship for the congregation
at the present.
[to top of second column]
In celebration of the 100th anniversary, the congregation will
host a cookout on the church lawn on Sept. 28 at 5:30 p.m., followed
by a celebratory worship service. The guest speaker for Saturday
evening will be the Rev. Eduardo Montoya, pastor of Ebenezer
Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Chicago.
For the Sunday morning worship on Sept. 29, the preacher will be
the Rev. George Estes. The service will be followed by an
old-fashioned church potluck.
The community is invited to join the congregation in thanksgiving
to God for his faithfulness through the years.
[LDN, with text from file received
from the Rev. Steve Blaum]