On September 28 and 29 the
First Cumberland Presbyterian Church invites the
community to come out and join them in a Centennial
Celebration of the current church building.
The Church lactated at 110
Broadway Street was completed in 1913. The church
body was formed 1857 and occupied multiple locations
between that year and 1913 when they dedicated the
new building that has served them for the past 100
Below is an brief excerpt from
the church history showing the progression of the
church from itís formation to completion of the
A BRIEF HISTORY
The first Cumberland
Presbyterian Church, Lincoln, Illinois, was
organized Saturday, May 7, 1857, by the Rev.
Thornton K . Hedges, in what was then known as Boren
's Hall, on Pulaski Street. The following persons
were charter members in the organization of the
church: George W. Edgar, Mary W. Edgar, John Howser,
Mrs. Litha J. Howser,
Mrs. Mary J. Hedges, J. S.
Metcalf, Mrs. Meldonnette Metcalf , John Crang,
Mrs. Elizabeth Crang, Abraham Duff , Mrs. Sarah J.
Duff , J. C. Horney, Mrs. Elizabeth Horney,
James M. Duff and Sarah Duff. George W. Edgar,
John S. Metcalf and John Howser composed the
first official board.
Shortly after the organization
the small, but courageous band erected a small
wooden building on South McLean Street, in
which they worshipped until 1866. That year
they erected a brick edifice at the corner
of Ottawa and Pekin Streets. In 1895 this
building was razed to give place to one of larger
and better accommodation, for the congregation had
out grown the old building. This house was
dedicated to the service of God on Sunday, May 17,
1896, and was the home of the congregation until
1906, when it was occupied by the Presbyterians.
Being now without a church home, the members rented
the W. C. T. U. tabernacle on North Logan Street
and worship there until May 11, 1913, when they
dedicated the building located at the corner
of Broadway and Ottawa Streets, which is the
place of worship for the congregation at the