1. AMERICANS MAY HAVE AIDED MALL ATTACK
U.S. officials say they're looking into a claim by Kenya's foreign minister that "two or three Americans" were among the terrorists who killed more than 60 people.
2. WHITE HOUSE SEES AN OPENING IN IRAN
Obama in his U.N. speech is expected to signal a willingness to engage with the new Iranian government in exchange for nuclear concessions.
3. WHY SAFEGUARDING CHEMICAL WEAPONS COULD BE HAZARDOUS
Video images of Syrian military helicopters dropping barrel bombs on opposition-held areas underline the difficulties international inspectors will face on the ground.
4. TWO CHARGED IN CHICAGO PARK SHOOTING
Police say both men played significant roles in the apparently gang-related attack that injured 13 people. But neither is believed to have pulled the trigger.
5. HOW NAVY YARD SHOOTER SLIPPED THROUGH THE SYSTEM
He lied about a previous arrest and failed to disclose thousands of dollars in debts when he applied for a military security clearance.
6. NINE MILLION IPHONES SOLD IN THREE DAYS
The iPhone 5S and 5C's quick start surpasses analyst forecasts that Apple would sell 6 million to 8 million models the first weekend.
[to top of second column]
7. WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING
Pregnant women need to beware of industrial chemicals and pollutants that people encounter in the air, water, food and everyday products, experts say.
8. STAR IS RESURRECTED IN NEWLY DISCOVERED FILM
A carpenter in New Hampshire stumbles upon the only known copy of a 1911 movie starring Mary Pickford -- the actress known as America's Sweetheart.
9. WHO'S TOUTING A HEALTHIER FRENCH FRY
Burger King is launching a new crinkle-cut french fry that it says has about 20 percent fewer calories than its regular french fries.
10. PLAYOFF DROUGHT ENDS IN PITTSBURGH
With a victory over the Cubs, the Pirates clinch their first trip to baseball's postseason in 21 years.
Copyright 2013 The Associated
Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.