Brother, Sister, Both 4, Die In New
York House Fire On Easter Morning
Send a link to a friend
[April 21, 2014]
NEW YORK (Reuters) — A house fire
that left two young children dead early Easter Sunday in New York City
was sparked accidentally, possibly by a child playing with a lighter or
matches, emergency officials said.
The 4-year-old half-siblings, a boy and a girl, were at their
grandfather's home in the city borough of Queens when the blaze
broke out in the basement just before midnight on Saturday, a
spokesman with the New York City Fire Department said.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental and the result of
child-involved fire play, the spokesman said.
Investigators were looking at the possibility the blaze was sparked
by a lighter or matches.
Four other people were injured in the blaze, including the
4-year-old sister of the boy, officials said.
A 55-year-old woman and a 63-year-old man, both in critical
condition, were transported to a nearby hospital. Their identities
have not yet been released, officials said.
A firefighter suffered mild injuries, the fire department spokesman
The two half-siblings were pronounced dead after they arrived at the
[to top of second column]
The children were regular visitors to their grandfather's house,
neighbors told local media. It was unclear where and with whom they
The fire took about an hour to extinguish and was contained to the
basement, fire officials said.
(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere; editing by Barbara Goldberg and
[© 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2014 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.