The U.S. search engine said it would comply with the order but would
keep fighting the 150,000-euro ($204,000) fine issued last month by
privacy watchdog CNIL.
CNIL has objected to Google's method of combining data collected on
individual users across services such as YouTube, Gmail and social
network Google+. The move towards broad storage was introduced by
Google in March 2012 and combined 60 privacy policies into one,
giving users no means to opt out.
The web giant appealed the CNIL's fine last month as well as the
order to post a notice of the sanction on its google.fr homepage for
48 hours. Google specifically asked the Conseil d'Etat, France's top
administrative court, to suspend that order while it re-examines the
On Friday, the Conseil d'Etat ruled that there was not enough
urgency nor proof of damage to Google's reputation to warrant such a
suspension. This means Google will have to post the CNIL's decision
on its French homepage even while it keeps fighting it in court.
"We've engaged fully with the CNIL throughout this process to
more effective services," a Google spokesman said in an emailed
[to top of second column]
"We will comply with the order to post the notice, but we'll also
continue with our appeal before the Conseil d'Etat."
Spain, Britain, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands have also opened
breached local rules protecting consumers on how their personal data
is processed and stored.
(Reporting by Gwenaelle Barzic and
Natalie Huet; editing by Elaine Hardcastle)
[© 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2014 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.