Carbon monoxide at Baltimore-area hotel
sends nine to hospital
Send a link to a friend
[February 17, 2014]
WASHINGTON (Reuters) — Nine people
were in stable condition in hospitals on Sunday after high levels of
carbon monoxide were found at a hotel near the Baltimore-Washington
international airport in Maryland, fire officials said.
The 260-room Westin hotel in Linthicum, Maryland, was evacuated on
Sunday afternoon after an emergency crew treating an employee who
felt faint found elevated levels of carbon monoxide throughout the
seven-story building, said Lieutenant Russ Davies of the Anne
Arundel County Fire Department.
"We did a room-by-room search of all seven floors to make sure the
entire hotel was evacuated," said Davies, who added 64 rooms were
occupied at the time of the emergency.
Eight of the nine people hospitalized were hotel employees and the
other a guest, he added.
Fire officials cut off potential sources of the carbon monoxide and
ventilated the building to bring levels of the poisonous gas to
acceptable levels, Davies said. Employees of the hotel could not be
reached for immediate comment.
[to top of second column]
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be fatal in
The Westin hotel chain is owned by Starwood Hotels and Resorts
(Reporting by Peter Cooney; editing by Matthew Lewis)
[© 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2014 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.