Mount Pulaski 1871 building damaged by high winds
Send a link to a friend
[February 24, 2014]
MOUNT PULASKI — Last Thursday
the top of the two-story 1871 red brick building on the southeast
corner of the Washington-Cooke Street intersection in Mount Pulaski
was damaged by the high winds that tore through the countryside. The
parapet and its cornice on one of Mount Pulaski's proud buildings
was heavily damaged, with most of it destroyed on the west side,
facing Washington Street.
The building was built by George Meister, an immigrant from Germany
who founded and owned one of two brickyards that were established in
Many businesses have operated out of this building
during the years, including doctors' offices, a cigar shop and
residential apartments on the second floor.
Currently, the Botanica floral shop occupies this building. Botanica's Michael McCrea has reported that their business was not
damaged, nor was their roof punctured. However, the parapet and its
very artistic cornice were heavily damaged and mostly destroyed
along the west side. Some bricks fell to the sidewalk below, but
most were blown over onto the roof by the stiff westerly wind. He
hopes — we all hope — that they can recover enough insurance to
return the parapet and cornice to their original state.
[to top of second column]
The new Brickyard Pub on the east side of the square in Mount
Pulaski gets its name from this same George Meister, whose
great-grandson David Meister helped build and currently manages
this upscale sports bar and restaurant.
[By PHIL BERTONI]