Logan County Highway Department celebrates 100 years
Send a link to a friend
[January 25, 2014]
The Logan County Highway
Department has begun its 100th year. The highway department in Logan
County was established in 1913, when the Illinois Legislature passed
the Tice Act, which created highway departments in each county.
The Tice Act was sponsored by Homer J. Tice, a state representative
from Menard County.
The Tice Act also provided for each county to
have a superintendent of highways, which is now known as the county
engineer. Logan County's first superintendent of highways was Thomas
S. Davy, appointed on Dec. 3, 1913. Logan County has had eight
superintendents over the past 100 years.
Prior to 1913, local roads in Illinois were the responsibility of
the townships, and most were dirt roads. Inclement weather made most
of these roads nearly impassable. The county highway system was
created to provide improved roads that would connect the various
municipalities and trading points.
Most of these roads began as a graded earthen base with ditches
to drain stormwater. Over the years, these roads were built up with
rock. The road bases have been protected with an oil and chip
coating, and some roads have been resurfaced with hot-mix asphalt or
[to top of second column]
The steel truss bridges with wooden decks have been steadily
replaced through the years. Concrete bridges now provide space
for two-lane traffic and allow for today's large farm equipment.
These compounding improvements have created a significant asset
for the citizens of Logan County.
The Logan County Highway Department maintains 166 miles of
roadways, designated by five-sided blue signs with gold numbers.
Construction and maintenance of these roads is performed with a
combination of federal, state and local funds.
[Text from file received from