Nick Lamb, 13, told authorities that he was not wearing his hearing
assistance implants while napping Wednesday afternoon as fire began
spreading through his Indianapolis home, Indianapolis Fire
Department Captain Rita Reith said Thursday.
The pit bull, Ace, went into Nick’s room during the fire and licked
his face, Reith said. Alone in the house, Nick covered his nose and
mouth with his T-shirt and he and Ace fled the house. The boy was
examined and released at the scene.
“We hear of dogs barking to wake someone up during a fire but not
licking their face,” Reith said.
The incident counters a popular image of pit bulls as dangerous and
aggressive dogs, Reith said.
“This is a positive for the pit bull community,” she said.
The homeowner believes the blaze, which did an estimated $175,000 in
damages, started in the garage from electrical causes, the fire
(Reporting by Kevin Murphy in Kansas City)
[© 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2014 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.