Security services briefly shut down Naval Station Norfolk
after the incident involving the two men, which occurred on
board the USS Mahan destroyer while it was docked at the base's
Pier 1, Navy spokeswoman Beth Baker said.
The civilian had been carrying a firearm on the base in
violation of rules that only allow security personnel to do so,
The lockdown lasted approximately 45 minutes, she added. The
base, the largest naval station in the world, was secure.
The sailor was an active-duty member and Navy officials were
looking into the "access and credentials" of the civilian, who
did have authorization to be on the installation, Baker said.
The shooting came months after a gunman opened fire at the
Washington Navy Yard, some 200 miles north of Norfolk, killing
12 people and wounding four being slain by police.
At the time of Monday's shooting, Navy personnel were on board
the ship and also on the pier. It was unclear who subdued the
suspect and in what circumstances.
Officials have launched an investigation to establish a motive
for the killing and information about the men involved, Baker
said. More information about the incident was not immediately
The Naval Criminal Investigative Service as well as base
security personnel were conducting the investigation.
(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson; editing by Gareth Jones)
[© 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2014 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.