State's historical library salutes a pioneer
Presidential Library celebrates 125 years of history by honoring
'The Library Lady' on April 6
Send a link to a friend
[March 27, 2014]
SPRINGFIELD — Illinois built one
of the nation's leading historical libraries thanks to the vision of
Jessie Palmer Weber, who guided the institution from 1898 to 1926.
As the library — now renamed the Abraham Lincoln Presidential
Library — celebrates its 125th year, it is honoring Weber on April 6
with a reception and installation of her portrait.
The event includes a presentation on Weber's life and an appearance
by the librarian in the form of historical interpreter Gwen Podeschi.
Cake and punch will also be served in the library atrium from 2 to 5
This event is free and open to the public, but a reservation
is required. Visit
http://bit.ly/LibraryLady or call 217-558-8934. Admission to the
museum is not included in the reservation.
The Illinois State Historical Library was founded in 1889. Weber
took over as director nearly a decade later and oversaw collecting
newspapers, photographs and documents that, together, preserved the
story of Illinois.
The library began with just 442 books. By 1910, it had 28,680.
Today, the collection includes 200,000 books, over 400,000
audiovisual items and millions of documents.
[to top of second column]
Weber helped establish the Journal of the Illinois State
Historical Society, prepared exhibits for events such as the 1904
World's Fair in St. Louis, and helped plan commemorations of the
50th anniversary of the Lincoln-Douglas debates and the 100th
anniversary of Lincoln's birth.
Weber, the daughter of an Illinois governor and U.S. senator,
said her goal was nothing less than "a complete history of the state
and its counties and towns, collected at the capital."
The library was particularly important for its collection of
documents from the life and career of Abraham Lincoln. That
collection made it possible to create the Abraham Lincoln
Presidential Library in 2004.
Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
file received from the
Illinois Historic Preservation Agency]