Illinois Department of Agriculture protects mulch
Cautions consumers of under volume packaging
Send a link to a friend
[May 12, 2014]
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - The Illinois
Department of Agriculture is alerting consumers that mulch products
packaged and distributed by Ohio Mulch (UMS) have been found to be
under volume in many Illinois retail locations.
The department's Bureau of Weights and Measures has discovered
that particular bags of mulch manufactured at the company's
Homerville, Ga., and Columbus, Ohio, plants contained less mulch
than indicated on the package labeling.
A stop sale order initially was placed on all Ohio Mulch products.
However, after negotiations with the company, the department has
agreed to temporarily rescind the order as long as signage is posted
in retail stores carrying the products to warn customers that the
bags may be under volume.
Ohio Mulch will offer per bag refunds, plus postage, to every
consumer who purchased mislabeled products. To obtain a refund,
customers need to mail proof of purchase of these products to: Ohio
Mulch, P.O. Box 650, Blacklick, OH, 43004. Questions about the
refunds should be directed to the company at (614) 592-2793.
[to top of second
The products included in the stop sale order are as follows:
- Longer Lasting Absolute Red #1931
- Longer Lasting Absolute Black #1951
- Pro's Choice Premium Cyprus #111
- Pro's Choice Golden Trophy Absolute Black #1952
- Pro's Choice Golden Trophy Absolute Brown #1982
- Pro's Choice Golden Trophy Absolute Gold #1902
- Pro's Choice Golden Trophy Absolute Red #1922
- Pro's Choice Golden Trophy Cedar Mulch #212
- Pro's Choice Golden Trophy Pine Bark Mulch #302
- Pro's Choice Golden Trophy Playmat Wood Fiber #1572
- Pro's Choice Golden Trophy Premium Cyprus Blend #112
- Pro's Choice Positively Black #1952PB
[Text received; ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT