Wednesday, November 12, 2014
sponsored by

Logan County Department of Public Health offers free home Radon test kits

Send a link to a friend  Share

[November 12, 2014]  LINCOLN - Did you know that radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers in the United States? In fact, 21,000 people die from lung cancer related to radon each year. Radon may be lurking in your home and is a hidden danger because you cannot see it, smell it or taste it.

Radon gas forms from the breakdown of uranium in soil and can enter the home through cracks in foundation floors, walls, construction joints and other openings. Radon gas, once in the home, decays into radioactive particles. Once these particles are inhaled and trapped in the lungs, they give off energy that can cause tissue damage which may lead to lung cancer.

Logan County, in addition to much of Illinois, is rated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as zone 1 meaning Logan County is in a zone of highest potential for radon to be found at unsafe levels. Regardless of which zone a home is located, any home has the potential to contain unsafe levels of radon. Just because your neighbor’s home tested safe for radon does not mean your home will be safe. The only way to determine if your home is safe is to have it tested.

Radon testing is simple and can be done by using a home test kit. If you have not tested your home yet, this is a good time to pick up your free kit at the Logan County Department of Public Health (LCDPH) while supplies last. Health department hours are Monday-Friday from 7:30am-4:30pm. The test kits are made available to the department through a grant from the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.

[to top of second column]

If you have questions or would like more information, you can contact the LCDPH at 217-735-2317. Additional radon information can be found at  and

Information Source: EPA, Illinois Emergency Management Agency

[Don Cavi, Public Health Administrator, Logan County Department of Public Health]


< Top Stories index

Back to top