Rice expected to appeal NFL suspension: reports
Send a link to a friend
[September 15, 2014]
(Reuters) - Ray Rice is expected to
appeal his indefinite suspension from the National Football League that
followed last week's release of a video showing him punching his
then-fiancee during an argument earlier this year, ESPN reported on
Sunday, citing sources.
The sports network said Rice must file his appeal by 11:59 p.m.
EDT on Tuesday, but that the NFL Players Association still had not
finalized plans on what basis to use for the appeal. ESPN said
ProFootballTalk.com had earlier reported Rice's plan to appeal the
The 27-year-old running back was released by the Baltimore Ravens
last Monday after the video was published on the TMZ website.
Rice had previously been suspended for two games by the NFL after an
earlier video of the same incident showed him dragging an
unconscious Janay Palmer, who is now his wife, from an Atlantic City
casino elevator. The league's initial penalty was widely criticized
as too lenient.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has said the league had not seen the
tape of Rice punching Palmer until it was released by TMZ. But the
Associated Press reported that a law enforcement official said he
had the tape delivered to league officials in April.
ESPN football analyst Adam Schefter reported on Sunday that Rice and
the Players Association had three business days to file an appeal
after receiving the league's suspension letter last Thursday.
[to top of second column]
"They are expected to make that appeal but they're waiting to see
how they will do it, where they will file it, the process by which
it will take place," Schefter said on the network.
He added that Rice was "looking to be reinstated as soon as possible
and to get some clarity as to when that may be able to happen."
(Reporting by Peter Cooney in Washington; Editing by Eric Walsh)
[© 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2014 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.