had been returned to a kiosk inside Deerbrook Mall because it
was not charging properly, according to a Humble Fire Department
The kiosk owner attempted to charge it, but was unsuccessful, so
put the skateboard-like electronic device back in the box. The
hoverboard then caught fire.
A witness video posted to local TV broadcaster KHOU shows what
is purported to be the incident with the object bursting into
flames while a bystander screams.
A mall employee discharged two dry chemical extinguishers. The
mall was evacuated for 45 minutes in order to clean the area.
The mall, about 20 miles northeast of Houston, has since
reopened and removed all hoverboards, according to the Humble
"The fire was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries or
damage to property," mall management said in a statement.
Deerbrook Mall, opened in 1984, houses 143 retails stores.
(Reporting by Amanda Orr; Writing by Jon Herskovitz; Editing by
[© 2015 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2015 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.