The move follows
a one-day walkout earlier this month by the union, which
represents 27,000 educators and support personnel in the
third-largest U.S. public school system that is saddled with a
$1.1 billion budget deficit.
"The Labor Board's important ruling gives Chicago families more
certainty that the CTU leadership cannot strike illegally
whenever they want," Chicago Public Schools Chief Executive
Forrest Claypool said in a statement.
The board voted 4 to 1 in favor of moving forward to seek
"The governor's labor board is prosecuting its war on workers,"
the union said in a statement following the Board's decision.
"The IELRB was ignoring decades of its own legal precedents."
Chicago Public Schools administrators called for binding
arbitration on Wednesday to reach a contract and avoid a
threatened teacher strike, which could happen as early as next
month, but the union immediately shut the door on the proposal.
Republican Governor Bruce Rauner is pushing for a state takeover
of the Chicago public school system.
(Reporting by Mark Weinraub; Editing by Tom Brown)
[© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2016 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.