Over the years the Genealogical & Historical Society has
collected photographs of many of the county’s historic early
lawyers. A brief history follows:
The Logan County Bar Association became its own entity in 1862.
Lionel P. Lacey presided at the first meeting and William McGalliard
served as secretary.
The first order of business was to draft a resolution of respect and
appreciation upon the retirement of Judge David Davis from the
The first triumvirate of Logan County lawyers were Lacey, S. C.
Parks, and W. H. Young. Parks and Young were the first lawyers of
Logan County whose names appear on the rolls of the Illinois Supreme
Court in l848. Judge Parks was known as the leading attorney of the
early Logan County Bar.
Silas Beason came to the Logan County Bar Association in 1859 and
became, “intimately identified with every public movement connected
with the growth and progress of Logan County,” according to Lawrence
B. Stringer’s history.
[to top of second column]
In the 1860’s members of the Logan County Bar Association included McGalliard,
William Springer, David T. Littler, William P. Callon, W. B. Jones, David H.
Harts, P. W. Harts, George H. Campbell, George S. Dana, H. W. Dana, Stephen A.
Foley, James T. Hoblit, Edmund Lynch, Edward D. Blinn, Robert Orendorff, Albert
H. Alkire, William P. Hackney, A. C. Edwards, William B. Mann, Rufus Mayfield
and Frank Fisk.
There were 557 Civil cases, 147 Chancery cases, and 62 People’s cases at the
first term in 1860.
McGalliard was recognized as a foremost leader at the Logan County Bar
Association serving in the state legislature, as a special adviser to William
Scully, and was often identified with the establishment of Lincoln University.
David Harts was admitted to the bar in 1866 and was identified with the progress
of the City of Lincoln for thirty years.