denies accepting Formula One job
Send a link to a friend
[November 03, 2016]
LONDON (Reuters) - Former
Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn has denied accepting a position
with Formula One's new owners Liberty Media to help run the sport.
"Liberty have not got far enough down the road to make any
commitments yet," the 61-year-old Briton, who left the sport at the
end of 2013 after decades of involvement, told the BBC on Wednesday.
"I'm doing a little consulting to help them better understand F1 but
Germany's Auto Bild had reported this week that Brawn, a former
Ferrari technical director who won titles with Michael Schumacher
and also with his Brawn GP team in 2009, had agreed a role with
Other media reports indicated he was set to work as a sporting
director, including liaising between the teams and governing body
and assisting with plans for the future.
Bernie Ecclestone remains at the helm of Formula One and Brawn said
any future role on his part "all depends" on what the 86-year-old
Briton decides to do following the Liberty takeover.
Ecclestone has shown no sign of loosening his grip and has continued
The Formula One Management (FOM) hospitality unit at last weekend's
Mexican Grand Prix had 'Mr. E' in large letters over the entrance
where previously it had been designated 'FOM'.
American Chase Carey has been appointed as Formula One chairman,
working closely with Ecclestone, and has attended some races since
the September takeover.
[to top of second column]
Mercedes Formula One team principal Ross Brawn looks on during the
first practice session of the German F1 Grand Prix at the
Nuerburgring racing circuit, July 5, 2013. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
Liberty are expected ultimately to appoint executives to oversee the
sporting and commercial sides.
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ken Ferris)
[© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2016 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.