The tours held last year were very well received, with a number
of visitor taking the opportunity to take a peak inside some of the
areas older churches. With such a good response, organizers decided
to hold the event this year, and added three new churches on top of
those that participated last year.
The participating churches will be decorated for Christmas. For
guests it will be an opportunity not only to view some lovely
decorations, but also see the beauty of the old time country church.
Organizer Debbie Moore noted that some of these churches are over
100 years old, with some extraordinarily beautiful windows.
Refreshments will also be offered at each stop, as well as an chance
to speak with folks who are a part of the church, and learn more
about the congregation and church history.
The tours are self-guided, and will take place on Thursday, December
8th, and Friday, December 9th, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
[to top of second column]
There are 15 churches on the tour this year, and tourists may pick
and choose the ones they wish to see.
Participating churches are:
- Sharon Unit d Methodist Church – 4363 W. Center Street,
- Illini Congregational Church – 5187 N Kenney Road,
- Promised Land Ministries - 168 E. Main Street, Warrensburg
- Niantic United Methodist Church – 211 W North Street,
- Niantic Christian Church - 270 N. Broadway Street, Niantic
- Latham United Methodist Church – Walnut Street, Latham
- Latham Baptist Church - 331 N. Macon Street, Latham
- United Methodist Church - 505 E. Matilda, Illiopolis
- Christian Church of Illiopolis - 304 Anne Street, Illiopolis
- Resurrection Parish - 410 Anne Street, Illiopolis
- United Methodist Church - 313 N Logan, Chestnut
- First Unite4 Methodist Church – 303 E Jefferson Street,
- Zion Lutheran Church - 407 N Logan, Chestnut
- St. Thomas Aquinas Parish- 321 S Lafayette Street, Mount
- Warrensburg United Methodist Church - 195 N Main Street,