Sugar Creek Bridge on Nicholson Road re-opens

Send a link to a friend  Share

[August 12, 2017]  LINCOLN - After five months of construction, the Nicholson Road bridge over Sugar Creek is completed and is open to traffic. The bridge is on County Highway 2, approximately five miles north of Lincoln.

The project began on March 13th and was completed ahead of schedule and within budget. The total cost of construction was $1.1 Million. 80% of the project costs are paid with federal bridge funds. Local property taxes are used to pay the remaining 20% of the project.

140 feet of the bridge was completely removed and re-constructed. The remaining 200 feet was widened. The bridge is now 30 feet wide for the entire length. Updated guardrail has been installed, which improves the level of safety at this bridge.

The bridge was originally constructed in 1976, replacing the steel truss bridges that spanned Sugar Creek. With this rehabilitation project, the bridge can now last for several more decades.

[to top of second column]

The Logan County Highway Department has been addressing a backlog of bridge repairs. Many of the local bridges that were built in the 1960ís, 70ís, and 80ís are in need of rehabilitation or replacement. We are inspecting these bridges routinely to help prioritize our limited revenues.

[Bret Aukamp
Logan County Engineer]

Back to top