A 17-year-old was
found dead at the scene and three other children were
transported to an area hospital where they later died, the
Amarillo Globe-News reported.
The pesticide that was used contained aluminum phosphide, a
chemical that, when mixed with water, creates phosphine gas, the
newspaper said, citing local fire officials.
"This family may have been exposed to this for several days,"
Amarillo Fire Department Captain Larry Davis told local TV
Names of the victims were not released, and Amarillo fire
officials were not immediately available for comment.
There were five other people exposed to the gas who were in
stable condition at an Amarillo hospital, the newspaper said
citing fire officials. One other patient was transferred to a
hospital in the Texas Panhandle city of Lubbock, and there was
no information on the status of that person.
(Reporting by Jon Herskovitz; Editing by David Gregorio)
[© 2017 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2017 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.