Crews dismantle confederate monument in
Send a link to a friend
[May 11, 2017]
By Jonathan Bachman
NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - A statue of
Confederate president Jefferson Davis was dismantled in New Orleans
early on Thursday, the second of four monuments slated to be taken down
by the city where critics say the displays glorify the era of slavery in
the U.S. south.
Police watched supporters of the statue's removal - which was ordered by
the city's mayor - and pro-monument Confederate-flag waving protesters
taunt each other as crews nearby used a crane to remove the 8-foot
bronze statue from its granite pedestal that has sat in Mid-city New
Orleans for more than a century.
"I am here to witness this debacle, taking down this 106-year-old
beautiful monument," said Pierre McGraw, president of the Monumental
Task Committee. "It hurts a lot."
Symbols of the Confederate period such as monuments and flags have been
removed from civic centers across the United States over the last two
years following criticism that the displays foster racism.
Quess Moore said he came out to watch the monument be taken down "to
celebrate the victory in the battle against white supremacy particularly
in New Orleans."
The Jefferson Davis Monument was frequently vandalized according to the
New Orleans Historical website that showed a photo with the words "slave
owner" sprayed in red paint on the base of the monument.
The monument will be stored in a city warehouse until a permanent
location can be determined, according to organization.
The Jefferson Davis Monument is one of four monuments that critics have
been pushing to have dismantled in New Orleans. In 2015, the city decide
to remove them and in March, a U.S. appeals court ruled that city had
the right to proceed.
[to top of second column]
A New Orleans police officer stands guard as a monument of Jefferson
Davis is removed in New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S., May 11, 2017.
The first of the monuments was removed last month, with the aim of
relocating it elsewhere. At that time, New Orleans Mayor Mitch
Landrieu said the removals would send a message of "diversity,
inclusion and tolerance."
A New Orleans preservationist on Monday sued to stop the city from
removing a statue of a Confederate States Army General P.G.T.
Beauregard. The lawsuit, filed by Richard Marksbury in Orleans
Parish Civil District Court, says the city cannot legally take down
the statue of because it does not own the memorial or the land it's
On Sunday, supporters of the monuments, some waving Confederate
flags, clashed with demonstrators near the site of a statue honoring
Confederate General Robert E. Lee that is also slated for removal.
(Additional reporting by Brendan O'Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by
[© 2017 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2017 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.