Police in the Southern California city were unsure what
motivated the shooting late on Sunday in an outdoor common area
where a group of people had gathered, said San Bernardino police
spokesman Captain Richard Lawhead.
"Right now, nobody is cooperating and providing us with the
information we need to help us locate a suspect or what led to
the shooting or anything else," Lawhead said in a phone
Two people, including the 17-year-old boy, were hospitalized in
extremely critical condition, Lawhead said.
The conditions of the other six people were not immediately
known. Victims were taken to three hospitals.
Police initially said 10 people had been hit by gunfire at the
apartment complex, but Lawson later said a total of eight people
had been shot. Police had initially received conflicting
reports, he said.
The shooting happened during a hot holiday weekend in San
Bernardino, a city of more than 216,000 residents about 60 miles
(96 km) east of Los Angeles.
San Bernardino was the scene of a 2015 mass shooting in which a
husband and wife killed 14 people and wounded 22 others before
police shot the couple to death. The couple was inspired by
Islamic extremists, authorities said.
There was no indication that Sunday's gunfire was in any way
connected to the 2015 shooting.
(Additional reporting by Rich McKay in Atlanta; Editing by Frank
McGurty and Jonathan Oatis)
[© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights
Copyright 2018 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content.