Thursday, April 23, 2009
sponsored by Graue Inc.

Fire heavily damages Lincoln residence.

Send a link to a friend

[April 23, 2009]  A fire badly damaged a two-story home at 832 S. Logan in Lincoln yesterday. The fire in the Victorian structure across from the Lincoln Developmental Center was reported shortly after 5:30 p.m. when homeowner Mark Lewis returned home from work.

The fire was concentrated in the second floor and attic of the home, although the entire structure and personal contents received heavy smoke and water damage. The fire was contained approximately one hour after the call came in, but the structure has been deemed unsafe due to damage.

Firefighter units from Lincoln, Lincoln Rural, Atlanta, Mount Pulaski and Latham responded to the call..

Lincoln Fire Chief Kent Hulett this morning confirmed his estimate of $80,000 in damage to the home.

The chief said that because the fire was hidden within walls and flooring, additional personal to get at the flames was essential to extinguish the blaze.

Although the state fire marshal will inspect the home this morning, Hulett says the fire started between the first-floor ceiling and second-story floor and is most probably an accidental fire.

The home still had old wiring but that has not been confirmed yet as the cause of the blaze.

The chief wanted to thank all off-duty personnel who responded as well as the other fire departments, Lincoln paramedics, EMA and Ameren and Illinois American Water crews for being on scene.

One Lincoln Rural firefighter received a minor hand injury fighting the blaze


Auto Sales

Nursing Homes


< Top Stories index

Back to top


News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching and Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries

Community | Perspectives | Law and Courts | Leisure Time | Spiritual Life | Health and Fitness | Teen Scene
Calendar | Letters to the Editor