Julius
Baer reaches preliminary deal in U.S. tax case
Send a link to a friend
[December 30, 2015] By
Brenna Hughes Neghaiwi and Joshua Franklin
ZURICH (Reuters) - Julius Baer has reached
an agreement in principle with U.S. authorities to settle an
investigation into allegations it helped wealthy American clients evade
taxes, potentially drawing a line under the Swiss bank's biggest legal
issue.
|
Switzerland's third largest listed bank said it had set aside nearly
$200 million in additional provisions for the settlement, bringing
the total amount earmarked for potential penalties to $547.25
million, which the bank will charge to its 2015 full-year results.
Julius Baer's penalties potentially look much lighter than those
paid by larger rival Credit Suisse, which in 2014 was fined $2.5
billion for helping Americans evade taxes and pleaded guilty to a
U.S. criminal charge.
U.S. authorities have conducted criminal investigations of several
Swiss banks after UBS agreed in 2009 to pay $780 million and
identify certain U.S. clients to resolve criminal charges that it
helped Americans evade taxes.
Julius Baer's deal with the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern
District of New York, which conducted the investigation, remains
subject to approval by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Baer
said in a statement.

Zurich-based Baer said it hoped to settle the Justice Department
investigation, which began in 2011, in the first three months of
next year.
The bank said it still expected to report a net profit for the
current financial year and would remain adequately capitalized.
Baer's shares rose as much as 4.4 percent, versus a 0.4 percent fall
in the European banking index, on relief that the provisions were
lower than expected. A Swiss media report earlier this month
suggested a settlement might cost Baer double the $350 million it
set aside in June.
Resolving the U.S tax case would end the uncertainty over potential
fines for the bank.
[to top of second column] |

"The exactness of the additional provisions suggests that the
agreement with New York authorities is just a formality, while the
DOJ fine could still change," Zuercher Kantonalbank analysts said.
"Visibility is still lacking."
It is also not clear whether Baer will need to follow Credit Suisse
and Wegelin & Co. in pleading guilty to criminal charges.
Wegelin, Switzerland's oldest private bank, shut its doors
permanently in 2013 after over two and half centuries in business
following its agreement to plead guilty to U.S. authorities.
The U.S. Justice Department is also running a separate voluntary
program to allow Swiss banks to resolve potential criminal charges
by disclosing cross-border activities that helped U.S. account
holders conceal assets.
(Editing by Edwina Gibbs and Jane Merriman)
[© 2015 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2015 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
 |