Exclusive:
U.S. weighs ramping up deployment of special forces to Syria
Send a link to a friend
[April 02, 2016]
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S.
administration is considering a plan to greatly increase the number of
American special operations forces deployed to Syria as it looks to
accelerate recent gains against Islamic State, U.S. officials told
Reuters.
|
The officials, with direct knowledge of the proposal's details,
declined to disclose the exact increase under consideration. But one
of them said it would leave the U.S. special operations contingent
many times larger than the around 50 troops currently in Syria,
where they operate largely as advisors away from the front lines.
The proposal is among the military options being prepared for
President Barack Obama, who is also weighing an increase in the
number of American troops in Iraq. A White House spokeswoman
declined comment.
The proposal appears to be the latest sign of growing confidence in
the ability of U.S.-backed forces inside Syria and Iraq to claw back
territory from the hardline Sunni Islamist group.
Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, controls the cities of
Mosul in Iraq and Raqqa in Syria and is proving a potent threat
abroad, claiming credit for major attacks in Paris in November and
Brussels in March.
 But there are mounting indications that the momentum in Iraq and
Syria has shifted against Islamic State.
U.S. officials say the group is losing a battle to forces arrayed
against it from many sides in the vast region it controls. In Iraq,
the group has been pulling back since December when it lost Ramadi,
the capital of the western province of Anbar. In Syria, the jihadist
fighters have been pushed out of the strategic city of Palmyra by
Russian-backed Syrian government forces.
Since U.S.-backed forces recaptured the strategic Syrian town of
al-Shadadi in late February, a growing number of Arab fighters in
Syria have offered to join the fight against the group, the U.S.
officials said.
U.S. forces have also had increased success in eliminating top ISIS
leaders. Air strikes in recent weeks killed a top official called
Abd al-Rahman Mustafa al-Qaduli, and an Islamic State commander
described as the group's "minister of war" -- Abu Omar al-Shishani,
or Omar the Chechen.
[to top of second column] |

The United States announced last December it was deploying a new
force of special operations troops to Iraq to conduct raids against
Islamic State there and in neighboring Syria. That followed its
announcement in October that dozens of U.S. special forces would be
deployed in Syria, the first U.S. ground troops to be stationed
there.
The additional U.S. forces in Syria would be primarily assigned to
establishing sites where they would train Arab tribesmen who have
been volunteering to fight ISIS. The tribesmen eventually would be
provided weapons, paving the way for offensive against the de facto
ISIS capital of Raqqa under U.S. air cover.
The dozens of U.S. special operations forces now in Syria are
working closely with a collection of Syrian Arab groups within an
alliance that is still dominated by Kurdish forces. The United
States has been supplying Arabs in the thousands-strong alliance
with ammunition since October.
While the strategy is showing results so far, U.S. officials and
Kurdish leaders agree that a predominately Arab force is needed to
take Raqqa, a majority Arab city whose residents would consider
Kurds as occupiers.
The new push by U.S. special operations forces in Syria would be
separate from a revised U.S. military effort under way to train a
limited number of Syrian fighters in Turkey. That effort is focused
on teaching them to identify targets for U.S.-led coalition air
strikes.
(Editing by Stuart Grudgings)
[© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.]
Copyright 2016 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
 |