With bylaw tweaks, Apple
grants activist one of three wishes
Send a link to a friend
[December 17, 2016]
By Ross Kerber and Stephen Nellis
BOSTON/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple
Inc's board relaxed some rules for director nominations by outside
investors but stopped short of broader changes sought by an activist
shareholder.
The new bylaws disclosed in a securities filing late on Thursday dealt
with the mechanics of "proxy access," the sometimes controversial
process allowing outside investors to nominate their own candidates to a
company's board.
Just how much influence to give such investors has been a hot topic with
the rise of activist shareholders who some executives fear may not have
long-term corporate interests at heart. At Apple, this debate played out
several years ago when billionaire activist investor Carl Icahn
successfully urged an increase in share buybacks.
Apple, the world's highest-valued publicly traded company, moved last
year to allow a group of up to 20 shareholders owning at least 3 percent
of its stock to include their own director candidates, constituting up
to 20 percent of the board, in its proxy materials.

Thursday's filing said shareholders also could re-nominate a director
candidate regardless of the level of support he or she had won in
earlier elections. Previously, shareholders were prohibited from
re-nominating candidates who had gotten less than 25 percent at either
of the company's last two annual meetings.
Apple also extended a procedural deadline for nominating shareholders
and director candidates, and it limited its board's direction to
unilaterally interpret certain provisions, according to the filing.
An Apple representative said the company would not comment beyond the
filing.
Independent shareholder James McRitchie, who has pressed Apple to grant
more proxy access rights, said the changes were welcome, especially on
the re-nomination question. But he said Apple failed to address two of
his other, larger concerns.
[to top of second column] |

The logo of U.S. technology company Apple is seen in Zurich, Switzerland April
5, 2016. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann

McRitchie said in a telephone interview that he would prefer there be no limit
to the number of investors needed to reach the 3 percent threshold for
nominating a director and that the board should change its terms to allow
investors to nominate up to two directors to its eight-member board, up from one
currently.
Both ideas, along with a request to do away with the limits on re-nominations,
are in a shareholder proposal McRitchie submitted to the company for a vote at
its next annual meeting, expected early next year.
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in October rejected a request by
Apple to exclude the proposal. An agency lawyer said officials were "unable to
conclude" Apple's current policies compare favorably with the activists'
submission, as the company had argued, according to correspondence on the SEC's
website.
McRitchie, who owns about 600 shares of Apple, said he might be amenable to a
compromise, but Apple has not spoken to him about one.
"I'm a bug that's too small to register on their thick hide," he said.
(Reporting by Ross Kerber in Boston and Stephen Nellis in San Francisco; Editing
by Lisa Von Ahn)
[© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2016 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
 |