Hong Kong's first bird
flu patient this winter dies
Send a link to a friend
[December 27, 2016]
HONG KONG (Reuters) - An elderly
Hong Kong man died on Christmas Day from bird flu, the government said
on Tuesday, the first human infection in the city this winter.
|
The Centre for Health Protection of the Health Department said the
75-year-old man, who was diagnosed with the H7N9 strain, died on
Sunday.
Last week, Hong Kong confirmed the first human bird flu infection
for this season after the man, who had recently traveled to China,
was diagnosed with H7N9.
South Korea and Japan ordered further culls early last week to
contain outbreaks of a different strain of bird flu, having already
killed tens of millions of birds in the past month.
At least seven people in China have been infected with H7N9 this
winter and two have died.
Hong Kong, a former British colony which returned to Chinese rule in
1997, has been battling sporadic cases of avian influenza in humans
since the first outbreak killed six people in the same year.
(Reporting by Donny Kwok; Editing by Nick Macfie)
[© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2016 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. |


|