OPEC
veteran Attiyah urges output cut, frets about glut
Send a link to a friend
[February 24, 2016]
By Rania El Gamal and William Maclean
DOHA (Reuters) - OPEC and non-OPEC
producers should cut production to balance the global oil market before
a supply glut becomes unmanageable "like a cancer", Qatar's former oil
minister Abdullah al-Attiyah said.
|
Attiyah, influential in OPEC as Qatar's energy minister from 1992 to
2011, said a deal announced in Doha last week by Saudi Arabia and
Russia to freeze production at January levels was not enough to
balance the market as an oversupply continues to grow.
"If they want to balance the market the solution will be easy. Don't
go slow. If you do, then every time the market will create a glut.
Cut 2.5 million barrels and then you will balance the market in a
few years," Attiyah, who says he is talking to producers in and
outside of OPEC, told Reuters.
"I will ask every producer, do you want quantity or price? They say
they want a reasonable price but to reach that there has to be
sacrifice. If you do not sacrifice the other will not sacrifice," he
said in an interview in Doha on Monday.

"The oversupply has grown from 1.7 million barrels per day (bpd) to
3 million bpd today. I am very worried about oversupply. It is like
a cancer. If you did not deal with it quickly, it would spread."
Oil has slid around 70 percent from more than $100 a barrel in
mid-2014, pressured by excess supply and a decision by the
Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries to abandon its
traditional role of cutting production alone to boost prices.
Attiyah spoke before Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi said on Tuesday
he was confident more nations would join a pact to freeze output at
existing levels in talks expected next month, but effectively ruled
out production cuts by major crude producers anytime soon.
Addressing the annual IHS CERAWeek conference in Houston, Naimi told
energy executives that growing support for the freeze and stronger
demand should over time ease the glut that has pushed oil prices to
their lowest levels in more than a decade.
[to top of second column] |

Traders have been skeptical about whether freezing production near
record levels will support the market.
Attiyah, a leading architect of Qatar's rise to global prominence as
gas exporter, said OPEC would not cut production alone but added
that Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter and defacto
leader of OPEC, was willing to cooperate with other producers to
balance the market.
"Saudi Arabia needs a commitment from everyone. The Saudis will be
big supporters -- but others have to join in," he said.
"OPEC will never do it alone. No way OPEC will do it alone: 100
percent."
One stumbling block in attempts to forge a wider agreement is Iran,
which is increasing output following the lifting of Western
sanctions in January and whose oil minister was quoted on Tuesday as
calling the deal "laughable".
(Editing by Susan Thomas)
[© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2016 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
 |